Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Stepping Out of the Boat

Yesterday someone who works for Asian Hope shared a devotional with us on Matthew 14:22-33.  He told us (all the new teachers) that we had stepped out of the boat.  It was somewhat like a "light bulb" moment for me.  I have realized that I have definitely stepped out of the boat and am trying to stand up on the waves knowing I am in very unfamiliar territory.  I can identify with Peter who was afraid when he saw the wind.  My wind right now...adapting to life in a third world country...being thousands of miles from home...getting ready to start my sixth year of teaching to students whose first language isn't English...okay to me that is a lot of wind! :)  I don't want to focus on the wind though.  The main main point I took from the devotional was this..."Don't focus on what or where God has called you instead focus on Who has called you."  I hope I always keep that thought in my heart and mind.  It is not about the place or the task...it is all about Him who brought me here to teach.  

 The wonderful teachers and teacher's assistants who I am working with at AHIS.  I love how many countries are represented by the staff...Philippines, Cambodia, New Zealand, India, Canada, South Africa, and the U.S.

 My sweet roommates - Merla and Jessica

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture! So true about the stepping out on a boat. I am praying for you! Love you and miss you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your blog posts! Can't wait to hear all about your first days with the kids.

    ReplyDelete